Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I've been rather sick today and decided my first meal of the day (at 4pm) should be a nice bowl of soup. I was given a big container of baby spinach (free food is always a plus) that was about to expire soon, so I decided a cream of spinach soup would be a great idea. Little was I expecting it to be so outstandingly delicious! This is really simple and quick to make, and if you don't have fresh spinach, frozen would work too.

Cream of Spinach Soup
3/4 cup water
1 vegetable bouillon cube
2 cups tightly packed chopped spinach
2 TBS minced red onion
2 TBS vegan margarine
2 TBS all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk substitute (I used soy)

  1. In a small saucepan, heat water and boullion until completely dissolved. Add spinach and onion and heat until tender.
  2. Melt margarine in a medium saucepan, stir in flour. Slowly whisk in milk substitute. Stir constantly until it begins to thicken.
  3. Stir in spinach mixture. If preferred, blend for a minute before serving.
For extra richness, I included a heaping tablespoon of tofutti cream cheese after adding the milk. If you have some on hand, try it out!


0 comments:

Any reproduction of this blog's material without permission from the author is strictly prohibited.